[Santa Cruz Celtic Slow Sessions] 3rd Sunday Session Invitation - Slow - November 18 - Windmill Coffee Spot

Tane' Tachyon tachyon at tachyonlabs.com
Wed Nov 14 14:25:10 PST 2007

Fáilte (welcome) to this month's 3rd Sunday Session. 3rd Sunday of
the month, 2 - 4 p.m. on November 18, at the Windmill Coffee Spot,
Santa Cruz. This is a slow session. Bain sult as! (enjoy)

Etiquette guidelines:
1) Session starts promptly so we don't lag into the whole day.
2) Please save the socializing for the break so we have lots of
   playing time.
3) 3:15 - 3:30 break:  As the Windmill Coffee Spot is a coffee shop,
   there will be drinks and treats there for purchase.
4) Going around in a circle, everyone has a turn to choose a tune and
   the tempo.
5) Try to maintain the tempo set by the person who chose the tune.
   Conversely, if you choose a tune and tempo and find that the tempo
   gets sped up too much while playing, don't be shy about asking that
   it be immediately played again sticking to the slower tempo -- it's
   good practice for everyone.
6) A single tune is played 3 times. In a set, each tune is played
   twice.
7) If needed, bring your music stand and tuneset book. Here's a
   website with tips on playing by ear:
   http://www.slowplayers.org/SCTLS/learn.html
8) Copies of the tuneset books generally used at slow session are
   sold for $15. I won't be able to make this month's slow session
   due to a time conflict with a birthday party, but if you want a
   book and contact me maybe I could send one with someone or you
   could pick it up in advance, or you could always look on with
   someone else for the afternoon. And if anyone wants a copy of the
   big (over 1000 tunes) "King Street Sessions" tunebook some people
   bring to the sessions, you can get one from Michael D. Long (the
   compiler and editor of both tunebooks) at mikelong at cruzio.com

The address of the Windmill Coffee Spot is 2-1231 East Cliff Drive.
I guess one easy way to get there would be to go down 17th Ave.
toward the ocean, then turn right on East Cliff, and in a few blocks
you should see the Windmill on your right.

The manager of the Windmill Coffee Spot has requested that we somehow
try not to use up all the parking, or be willing to move, if asked.
Carpooling encouraged!

When I checked a weather report, Sunday was looking to be "partly
sunny", so the usual advice about clothespins/clips to make tunebooks
behave in breezes, and possibly sunscreen, would apply. But even if
it turns out to be rainy, the coffee shop is large enough that there
would be room to play inside.
--
Tane' Tachyon = tachyon at tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/