[Santa Cruz Celtic Slow Sessions] How to get copies of the tunebooks

Rob Stevenson voxrob at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 7 21:21:53 PDT 2010

>>"O.T. - I'm trying to learn just one song, as an intro to playing Irish music: Saddle The Pony. This song is in both books, but they are completely different tunes. Is this some form of twisted Irish humor, meant to confuse beginners like me?"

No it's not.  This is what happens in alot of traditional music that is, for a long time, passed around from ear to ear and hand to hand.  Different groups developed different names for some tunes.  Sometimes music books will give alternative names to the tune -- www.thesession.org does this in their tune lists.  Sometimes it's confusing but it happens.   You just need to be sure which version is being done at the session (frankly, I'm not familiar with the one in KSS).  Most of all, you want to get a recording of the tune so you can actually hear how it goes.