[Santa Cruz Celtic Slow Sessions] 3rd Sunday Session Invitation - Slow - November 16 - at The Buttery

Tane' Tachyon tachyon at tachyonlabs.com
Thu Nov 13 14:05:22 PST 2008

Fáilte (welcome) to this month's 3rd Sunday Session. 3rd Sunday of
the month, 2 - 4 p.m. on November 16, at The Buttery bakery and cafe,
at 702 Soquel Avenue close to downtown Santa Cruz. This is a slow
session. Bain sult as! (enjoy)

Etiquette guidelines:
1) Session starts promptly so we don't lag into the whole day.
2) Please save the socializing for the break so we have lots of
   playing time.
3) 3:15 - 3:30 break: As The Buttery is a bakery and cafe, there are
   drinks and treats there for purchase. In fact, Janet (Buttery
   owner and concertina player) has been setting out amazing trays of
   cookies.
4) Going around in a circle, everyone has a turn to choose a tune and
   the tempo.
5) Try to maintain the tempo set by the person who chose the tune.
   Conversely, if you choose a tune and tempo and find that the tempo
   gets sped up too much while playing, don't be shy about asking that
   it be immediately played again sticking to the slower tempo -- it's
   good practice for everyone.
6) A single tune is played 3 times. In a set, each tune is played
   twice.
7) If needed, bring your music stand and tuneset book. Here's a
   website with tips on playing by ear:
   http://www.slowplayers.org/SCTLS/learn.html
8) Copies of the tuneset books generally used at slow session are
   sold for $15. And if anyone wants a copy of the big (over 1000
   tunes) "King Street Sessions" tunebook some people bring to the
   sessions, you can get one from Michael D. Long (the compiler and
   editor of both tunebooks) at mikelong at cruzio.com

In July we played out on The Buttery's patio -- you can see two
photos of this in Nick's blog entry
http://quantumtantra.blogspot.com/2008/07/santa-cruz-session-relocates.html
-- and then since then we've been playing upstairs in an office,
which you can see in these two photos
http://flickr.com/photos/tachyon/2956709828/
http://flickr.com/photos/tachyon/2955870083/
though some people have expressed interest in playing on the patio
again. Basically, if you don't see anyone on the patio (which,
again, has been the case in recent months), go up the stairs on the
left outside wall of the Buttery, and you'll find us in a room down
the hall on the left.

Also, passing on some upcoming concert/workshop harp/bodhran info
from Community Music School:

--
Tane' Tachyon = tachyon at tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/